Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Wild Heart

Trout lilies and Ostrich fern fiddleheads.
Spring has found us at Wildermirth.

My garden is not nearly ready to be planted. I have a Reliance peach, a McLaughlin pear, an Illinois Everbearing Mulberry, a Witch Hazel and blackberry starts to put into the ground. I'm propagating my elderberry and moving most to the soggy bottom ground down-slope.

Last Thursday I became a student in the Maine Master Naturalist Program at UMF, and decided to return here to my blog, to record my adventures.

Five days into the program, I've been tramping more than I have in years. As I roam I've asked myself--why on earth haven't you explored more regularly-- and the only answer I've come up with is--for lack of good sense to don the proper clothing to keep me warm and dry.

It's one thing to dash out to the car in a snowstorm without shoes or sweater and another to set out on a brisk day to walk the fen in holey sneakers and a sleeveless shirt. Voluntary prolonged discomfort is an unnecessary trade-off. I'm now taking time to more properly equip myself, with the result, of course, that I've stayed out longer and noticed more of what is happening around me.

No comments: