Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Bees, Babies and Brooding


My bees arrived yesterday!
Cate has painted flowers, fruit and candy on the outside of our hives; she is enamoured and wants her own bee suit and veil.
One hive we've named Bee-Loved, the other Bee-Sweet.
It was grey and rainy yesterday, and since nasty weather makes bees angry, they spent the night in their delivery box in the garage and I will hive them this afternoon.

Belle, our Nubian doe, is still holding onto her baby--her babies? Goats kid twins 65% of the time! Joe cleared space in the garage so I can transfer my seedling flats, for they have taken over my kitchen, and now the cats are knocking them about. We suffered a tomato casualty last night.

This Saturday, May 3, is the first day of the Farmers' Market, and I think the last time I was this nervous I was waiting on a blind date. Both engender the same worried questions: Will they like what I have to offer? Will I have enough? Will I make any money?